Summer Thermostat Tips That Will Actually Save You Money
Summer is a welcome break from Wisconsin’s legendary cold temps and high heating bills—until a hot streak has you blasting your air conditioner and paying huge and equally unwelcome energy bills. With a little advice and a few thermostat tips from the award-winning team at Tom’s Heating Service, you can stop sweating the cost of comfort and start saving more this season.
Make Programmable and Wi-Fi Thermostats a Priority
Reducing energy costs starts with your thermostat—it’s the command center for your home’s comfort and efficiency. Consider a programmable model, which gives you the control to automatically raise and lower temperatures to suit your needs and schedule while maximizing savings.
Set your thermostat to manage temperatures throughout the day, or set it for the entire week, so you’re not wasting air conditioning when no one is home. As a bonus, certain programmable thermostats will also let you control your humidity level so your A/C doesn’t have to work so hard on muggy days.
Or you can consider a Wi-Fi thermostat, which takes programming and convenience to the next level. We offer a variety of models—such as the Carrier® Infinity® System or Carrier® Côr™ thermostat—equipped with the same functionality as programmable thermostats, plus smart technology that:
- Sends mobile alerts of system breakdowns
- Tells you when it’s time for system maintenance
- Automatically adjusts based on occupancy sensing or geofencing
- Allows you to adjust settings from anywhere using a mobile device or computer
- Lets you pre-program vacation settings to save energy while you’re gone and have your home cool by the time you get home
When programmed correctly, thermostats can help homeowners save time, as well as 10 to 30 percent on energy bills. We know each model inside and out, and would be happy to recommend one to you. Or you can stop by our showroom to test a few options in-person.
Other Ways to Save on Energy This Summer
In addition to a programmable thermostat, consider these tips for cost-effective cooling during summer months:
- A degree of difference. For every degree above 72 degrees that you raise your thermostat setting, you can save up to three percent on your cooling expenses. Get used to a higher temperature that still feels comfortable by raising your thermostat one degree each week. The key is consistency, rather than cycling your A/C on and off throughout the day.
- Become a fan of fans. Ceiling and window fans are a smart option for maximizing comfort while minimizing energy use. In fact, a good fan can let you bump your thermostat up four degrees while maintaining the same comfort level. Do the math with the figures above—that’s up to 12 percent savings on your cooling expenses alone!
- Less sun, more shade. Keep shades and blinds down during the day to keep the sun’s heat out. Open those windows at night, when it’s cool enough that you can shut off the A/C. Also, consider landscaping your yard with trees and shrubs that naturally shade your windows, roof, and walls.
- Keep cool air contained. Do a quick energy check—run your hand along windows and doors from inside. If you feel warm air seeping in, caulk around leaky windows or add insulation to doors to keep cooler air in. This will also help keep the heat in during cooler months.
Stay Comfortable and Cost-Effective All Year Long
Since 1954, Tom’s Heating has been helping homeowners like you stay comfortable in every season. We’re the only HVAC provider in the Midwest to receive the prestigious Carrier® President’s Award for 16 consecutive years. With our reputation and expansive service area, it’s easy to see why residents choose us for their heating, cooling, and indoor air quality needs.