5 Signs You Probably Need a New Air Conditioner
It’s easy to forget about your air conditioner when it’s working well. Regular maintenance can keep it running better for longer, but as summer goes on and each day seems hotter than the last, the constant strain on your cooling system can take its toll. Watch for the following signs that your air conditioner is about to give in to heat exhaustion. The last thing you want is to be caught off guard and without any relief when things get really hot. The cooling experts at Tom’s Heating Service have compiled a list of five warning signs. If you notice these, it might be time to start saving or shopping for a new air conditioner.
- There’s Not Enough Cool Air—A lack of cold air is a sure sign that your air conditioning system needs service or is on its last leg. A failing system might blow warm air or it may not blow anything at all.
- Frequent Repairs—Frequent air conditioning repair is a sign that your system may be ready to retire. Even well-maintained units can’t last forever, so we’ll help you weigh the cost of fixing an unreliable A/C with its actual value. At some point, it will be more cost-effective to buy a new high-efficiency air conditioner.
- Strange Odors—If you notice a burning odor, turn off your unit immediately. Running the A/C while something is wrong will only make things worse and result in an even bigger repair bill. The motor may be overheating, the capacitor could be bad, or you may have an electrical fault in the system. In any case, you will need to call a professional for help. If you smell a musty odor, try changing the air filter and then call an expert. There may be something wrong with your unit’s ability to dehumidify the air.
- Weird Sounds—It’s not only weird smells you need to be aware of—odd clunking sounds coming from your unit can indicate it’s wearing out. Sometimes it’s fixable, but a new air conditioner is often the more practical solution.
- Your Utility Bills Are Going Up—As air conditioning units get older, they become less efficient at cooling your home. This means that they use more electricity, which in turn increases your energy bills. If your utility bills creep up every summer, it may be time to learn about new home cooling technology.
Think You Need a New Air Conditioner?
For more than 60 years, Tom’s Heating has provided full-service heating, cooling, and indoor air quality installation and repair service for the greater Waukesha area. As a Carrier® Factory Authorized Dealer and 17-time Carrier President’s Award winner, our technicians are extremely knowledgeable and reliable. If you think you need a new air conditioner—or you ever need to take advantage of our 24-hour emergency service—just give us a call at 262-548-1300—we’re here to help!