Spring Clean Your Air Conditioner to Beat the Heat (and Costly Repairs)
The Importance of Spring Cleaning Your Air Conditioner
Every year, when Spring finally arrives, it’s time for some cleaning. When making your to-do list, don’t forget to add air conditioner cleaning. Maintaining your system before summer begins not only makes sure your system is operating at its best when you need it, but it also helps you catch minor issues before they require more expensive repairs.
Your Spring Cleaning Checklist
While it’s a good idea to call the pros for larger HVAC services, such as duct inspections and cleanings, system tuneups, and, when it’s time, the installation of a new Carrier® air conditioner, there are several spring cleaning tasks you can do yourself:
- Deep clean your house. Spring cleaning removes dust and other allergens from your home’s floors and surfaces before they end up in your ductwork, where they will recirculate and lower your indoor air quality.
- Check the A/C unit power. Turning on the air conditioner unit for a test run will tell you if the system is cycling on and off, making any strange noises, or in need of repairs before summer. This is recommended only after temperatures are above 60 degrees.
- Change the air filters. Clean air filters, particularly high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters, contribute to cleaner, fresher air and higher operating efficiency for energy savings. Every system has a different length of time between filter changes; consult with our experts to know how often you should change yours in addition to the spring cleaning change.
- Install a Wi-Fi or smart thermostat. By installing a programmable or Wi-Fi thermostat, you’re in total control of your home’s cooling, including when and how much, even when you aren’t home!
- Clear the area around the outdoor unit. By cleaning up around the A/C unit and rinsing debris off its condenser coils (never when it’s on), you will help it run better and longer. Remember to leave a minimum of 12-18” of clearance around your unit to allow for proper airflow.
Save These A/C Services for the Pros
With your tasks complete, you’ll want to call in the Tom’s Heating Service pros to help you with this part of the list:
- Professional duct cleaning. Have one performed every five to eight years or after a remodel or pest problem. It clears dust, mold, pet dander, and other debris lurking inside your home from the ducts allowing you to have higher quality air circulating around your home.
- Spring tuneup. Just as you change the oil and rotate the tires on your car, you should also be proactive about caring for your air conditioner. A spring Clean & Check helps uncover problems before they become a summer emergency. Ask about a maintenance agreement—it’s the budget-friendly way to get the most out of your cooling system and receive our best prices as a service plan customer. And we will even call you to remind you to schedule service!
Your Comfort Is Our Business
As a homeowner, you want to know that your air conditioner unit will work when you need it. At Tom’s Heating, it’s our business to make sure it does. Call us at 262-548-1300 to schedule your air conditioner spring cleaning and save with our available promotions.